What are Reserved Instances?
AWS Reserved Instances are a pricing option wherein customers can “reserve” one or more resources / capacity, for either one or three years. Unlike on-demand where commitment is usually valid per hour, reserved instances are for 1- or 3-year term; and in exchange, the hourly rate per resource is lowered significantly.
This works out to 35 - 50% lower EC2 costs compared to similar on-demand instances.
What is RI Manager?
Enterprises, big and small, purchase Reserved Instances (RIs) while planning their AWS spend. Typically, these licences (yearly or multi-year) are planned and purchased in the beginning of the year and usually consolidated at the organization level (using AWS Organization).
The actual usage of these RIs would be done by individual DevOps teams and typically not at the same time leading to suboptimal usage and diminished savings. Businesses can get recommendation on RI purchases as well as report on their utilization. However, there is no solution that ensures optimal utilization of the purchased RI’s.
CMPUTE RI Manager is a component within our platform that analyzes and optimizes your Reserved Instance purchases. It ensures optimal utilisation of RIs purchased across the organization.
- Support for AWS Organization account: CMPUTE utilizes RIs purchased in one account to be used by another account within the same AWS Organization
- Supports Instance Normalization factoring RI purchases made at region level and AZ levels
- Real-time and monthly aggregates of RI utilization reports, with a special focus on our unique “Excess on-demand usage” metric
How to use RI Manager
Existing customers have to update their CloudFormation template via cmpute portal while new customers just need to add their AWS account to start using our new RI Manager.
Steps to Add AWS Master and Child Account(s) in the cmpute platform
Step 1: Add AWS Master Account
- Click Accounts under Admin.
- Select Add Organization Account from the dropdown.
- Click on ADD ACCOUNT button.
- Provide ‘Master Account’ details and click ‘ADD ACCOUNT’
- Cmpute will add the master account and display the list of child account(s) associated with the master account
Step 2: Add Child Account(s)
- Select one or more child account to add to the cmpute platform by clicking on the ‘Add Account’ checkbox against each account.
- Click ‘ADD ACCOUNT(s)’
- Selected child account(s) will be added to the cmpute platform
Use Reserved Instances in a Job (Currently we support RI usage in Custom AMI Jobs)
In a job, user can explicitly specify to use ‘Reserved Instances’.
Cmpute RI Manager provides both Real-Time and Monthly data related to RI usage.
Real Time RI Usage
Monthly RI usage
Now you can fully utilize your purchased Reserved Instances with CMPUTE. Give it a try!